Friday, May 29, 2009

Eminem Talks About Relapse Hitting #1: 'I'm Glad To Be Back'

Eminem's Relapse is the #1 album in the country, and on Wednesday, he appeared on BET's "106 & Park" and spoke about the album's success.
"Feels great. I'm glad to be back," he told the show's host.
"Record sales ... honestly, since the beginning of my career, I've kinda always said they're not as important to me as the respect and things like that," he added about the selling more than 600,000 records the first week of Relapse's release — a high for this year. "I would rather rap to get respect from the fans and my peers and things like that. I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to sell any records, but at the same time, that's not my main priority."
During the interview, Em said that most of the time when he talks about people in his records, they aren't personal attacks. When asked about how he ruffled Nick Cannon's feathers when he dissed Mariah Carey on Relapse's "Bagpipes From Baghdad," Slim Shady downplayed it.
"Honestly, I said what I wanted to say, he said what he wanted to say. That is what it is too," Em said. Cannon voiced a similar opinion last week, saying he has no beef with the MC.
Em had more to say when asked about some of the up-and-coming MCs right now. He said he's digging Asher Roth and Kid Cudi, and was especially impressed by Bobby Ray, a.k.a. B.O.B. All three rappers were among MTV News' "MCs to Watch in '09" earlier this year.
"B.O.B. is crazy," he said. "He can rap, sing, makes his own beats." Em also revealed that he and Bobby had recently worked together in Detroit.
More seriously, Em spoke on his sobriety and said that during his Encore phase, he "felt kinda lost," regarding his balance between being famous and a regular person, not to mention his addiction to prescription drugs — an addiction he recently admitted he "almost died" from. In fact, Em said he was a "wee bit" under the influence last time he was the program.
"I literally have no recollection of doing the show," he said about his last time on "106."
50 Cent also appeared on the show as a surprise guest and congratulated Em on Relapse's success.

No comments:

Post a Comment